Friday, January 20, 2012

Russian equivalent of 'a songstory' word

This post of mine is another bilingual one again due to the topic introduced. I found another equivalent in Russian language to express the meaning of 'a songstory' in one word.

The recently found "повествопесня" uses, as the English original does, two roots: "повесть" and "песня". However the latter refers to a single song. The word I chose - "пение" - stands for "singing", thus making my version slightly weaker. However if one goes through those words in reverse order, s/he can find that the term is described like "stories that are being sung", meaning that "the story finds its meaning" or "starts living" when being sung. Hence this would describe not the process but the nature of this piece of work.

Also, in Russian there is "повествование" word that means "narration", which supports the process of origination of this new word in the best way, I believe.

So, I propose another Russian analogue of the English 'a songstory' (invented by John Ellis): 'повествопение'.

You are most welcome to propose a better version! I will be happy if I find anybody else interested in this stuff.

Added 6 days later, on January 26, 2012:
IMPORTANT! The development of this topic is presented here.

No comments:

Post a Comment