Tuesday, January 17, 2012

On Translations - part 2

Status of "The Climber"
The translation of "The Climber" is verified, a couple of minor (hopefully final) edits done and, I think, correct decision made: I am going to present the rhymed translation as my ultimate output. The lyrics is so deeply interconnects with the music that I think it deserves such a treatment. Those dozen of tiny fragments that simply need to be sung quickly, or stretched to due to different syllable count and differences in the rhythmic construction do not affect overall impression, and in general the whole piece can be read without singing as well (something like watching a movie without sound).

Orfeas
Yes, about to start the second round of going through Orfeas draft. While running through The Climber I noticed that my translation got improved by the moment I reached the end. Not to say that it was weak from the beginning, but that I caught the thread, and successfully followed it. Since Orfeas was my second output, I hope this will be felt even better here. By the way, only four comments have been added to The Climber, mostly the translations of minor occurrences of some words in Italian, and one on the North Italian Plain, for the name of which I had to apply minor rewording. Orfeas already has more than thirty....

Questions
No such at the moment. Now need to take a short break, and then make some noise to welcome the George Orfeas Band!

No comments:

Post a Comment