Monday, January 16, 2012

On Translations - part 1

Status
Both "The Climber" and "Orfeas" are translated (one week passed since then, in fact). In-line versions were done on one and in one and a half days, respectively. However, I felt that this is not enough and I can do more than go over them polishing and improving some rhymes. Having Judge's approval in hands, I decided not to get into rush and produce some decent translation made of words and phrases, but to put myself in them. So, what can be done here?

The Climber
The Climber is a beautiful piece of work, requiring not just to be understood, but to be sung. At my first attempt (at work!) I did the first "Choir" part - and I decided to prepare another translation of the whole piece. A rhymed one! I want it to be sung in as many languages as possible. That was quite a challenge for me: the meaning should be delivered, the rhyme to be preserved, and, if possible, phonetically both original and derived texts should match. Today I am happy to say that this task is done. I celebrated it with another cigarette and now need to replay it with the Russian lyrics to see how the whole piece goes. Who knows, maybe I will decide to delete that file immediately? :-)

Orfeas
Orfeas is different. This is a powerful piece of music.... no, I should say "of Music". It is all about Music and people. It is so very different in styles, in music, in lyrics, that I need to think out a correct way of working in to get the ultimate translation.

Questions
I am still in doubt about which one should be the ultimate translation for "The Climber". Do people need to sing it anytime they read it, I mean to keep music in mind, or it will be better to present a simple version in poem-like form for easier reading? Or should I present both? I think I need even more time/effort to find the answer....

No comments:

Post a Comment