Friday, February 17, 2012

“Definitive” collection of live performances

My impressions from the new album are posted here (in Russian). I've added an Appendix to the main essay that includes only the officially released (with all the copyrights kept) live performances with Hammill's participation. The Discography section on hammill.ru does not include live performances, hence this Appendix may both be considered as an addendum to the main discography, and be used as a reference for compiling the timeline of the live performances spread over it.

In my essay I supposed that readers may be somehow interested in an independent recreation of the mentioned “definitive” collection of live performances. Such definition came out after I read another post in Peter's journal regarding the September release, where he says, in particular:

"there’s no such thing as a definitive version; or at least, I’ve no desire for one. I’d rather face up to each song as it comes up on the – constantly changing – setlists and treat it as feels right on the night.

[...]

no version is or can be definitive…but these are certainly authentic."

And then I supposed that "definitive studio version and authentic live version is what we might actually need to have from a performer." The choice of songs for a live album made by the performer himself will, nevertheless, be definite, thus giving us the “definitive” collection of live performances. That is the logic.

I would like to note that at first I did not want to include video materials, festival compilations, etc. However, imagining that the timeline will lack some key VdGG periods, I declined that limitation.

The development of this topic will appear, probably, in the next post. I will add to the main liveography those performances, that would enrich it in some way.

No comments:

Post a Comment